Tents

For You and Your Bike

Moderator: Waldorf

WoradongalMan

Tents

Post by WoradongalMan » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:29 pm

Was putting my tent up the other day when i realised, how the hell can i use this tent in soft sand, is a BlackWolf Mantis (something like that) one man tent. Just wondering if anyone knows of any good light one man tents that don't require pegs. (if there is such a thing)

DustyWheels

Post by DustyWheels » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:48 pm

I may be wrong but I was under the impression the you can get pegs that are designed just for sand IE there longer

but I may be wrong.

while on the subject of tents, whats the go with grounds sheets under tents, seems not everyone use one and of those that do I've heard of everything from Shade cloth, shower curtain and your garden variety tarp being used.
I might ride like crap, but I'm having fun, I think

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

WoradongalMan

Post by WoradongalMan » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:32 pm

cool, thanks for that, yeah i don't use a ground sheet. just another thing to carry, i got this thing where i have to carry as little as possible........ but still be resonably cumfy.

DustyWheels

Post by DustyWheels » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:54 pm

Just as a matter of interest this my tent

http://www.colemannz.co.nz/products/COCTA1116

got it at a local campworld store on clearance for $175

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

drussdog

Post by drussdog » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:00 pm

I have two sets of tents pegs, one for earth and one for sand. The sand ones are shaped like a V and work well. You can buy them from most camping stores, they come in steel and plastic.

I carry a very lite ground sheet as well, packs down into the size of my hand. It does make your tent last longer. keeps it dryer etc but mostly it acts as a layer that your tent can slide on which is smooth rather than the rough ground, like grease!. If you don't use your tent much you may not need it on a bike trip.

Camping with the kids but i use a heavy duty tarp under the tent otherwise i would have a dozen holes in it by now. Tents are cheap now but i have been caught in a leaking tent and don't want to enjoy the experiance again.

You could "harden up" and forget the tent and just use the ground sheet! done it once in summer and it was great but condidtions have to be good.

DustyWheels

Post by DustyWheels » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:01 pm

drussdog wrote:I carry a very lite ground sheet as well, packs down into the size of my hand. It does make your tent last longer. keeps it dryer etc but mostly it acts as a layer that your tent can slide on which is smooth rather than the rough ground, like grease!. If you don't use your tent much you may not need it on a bike trip.

what's it made off ??

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

Hardhead

Sand

Post by Hardhead » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:39 pm

If you pegs won't stay put in the sand you can dig a hole and tie your rope around a rock, stubby, stick and bury it. Its worked for me in the past.

drussdog

Post by drussdog » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:28 pm

mudrat wrote:
drussdog wrote:I carry a very lite ground sheet as well, packs down into the size of my hand. It does make your tent last longer. keeps it dryer etc but mostly it acts as a layer that your tent can slide on which is smooth rather than the rough ground, like grease!. If you don't use your tent much you may not need it on a bike trip.

what's it made off ??

It's just a lite weight nylon, i think i got it at a disposal store for $5. I have also seen guys use the emergeny foil blankets in first aid kits as a ground sheet. They seemed to hold up well. They are dirt cheap and almost a throw away item.

My tent is a lite weight model and as such the floor is really thin. I don't think it would last long without even a basic ground sheet.

Drussdog

The rock idea works well, depending on the tent you can even use rocks inside the tent to put weight in the corners. I had to do that in some strong winds (gale force) one night when the tent pegs came out. That tent but was a design that allowed that work (dome).

WoradongalMan

Post by WoradongalMan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:36 pm

yeah im pretty new to tents, this is the first one i have bought. got it because it was the lightest option for sleeping shelter, usually i just chuck the swag in the back but is a bit big for the bike

hol124

ahh ha

Post by hol124 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:39 pm

ok so some of you might allready know this but i am a soldier in the aussie army an infantry soldier to be exact so i have some experiance in this.
i have been carrying my house on my back for a number of years now and all the requirments for millitary gear are the same for adv gear so here are my thoughts.
Tents- ok so there are a few issues already raised here like tent pegs for sand and ground sheets etc
I cant realy use a tent for work and as such dont own one. I use a bivi bag kinda like a gortex shell that you put your sleeping bag in, a therma rest and a hootchi, its a 4 ft x6ft tarp with tie off points basicaly.
this will pack smaller than most tents and is cheaper in the end and has keept me alive in all off the conditions i have experianced in aus so far.
rustic yes minimilist yes but thats what some poeple want.
but for the ultimate in comfort i use a small biker swag that rolls up to not much bigger than a sleeping bag and will keep you dry and warm in all but the worst conditions.
the buety is you can taylor to the conditions, clear and stary just the swag raining then everything