Helmet without sticker

For You and Your Bike

Moderator: Waldorf

Baiazid

Helmet without sticker

Post by Baiazid » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:03 am

Hi guys,

I recently bought an Uvex helmet from Germany. Has Snell or DOT approval but not OZ approval.

How I may get around the long arm of the low?

I mean:
1. ways to remove a sticker from an old helmet ...
2. what insurance (comprehensive one) can do legally if I have an accident while wearing this helmet?

Black Pearl

Re: Helmet without sticker

Post by Black Pearl » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:18 am

The only people that could 100% definitively answer your question are your bike insurance company and also your health insurance company.
If your helmet is not legal in Aust should you be even on the road and hence covered or not covered?
If your helmet is not legal in Aust and you get a head injury will your health insurer cover you if you were not supposed to be on the road?
I have passed this question along to a friend in the insurance industry. She will ask around the office and probably stir up a hornets nest. :)
Coincidentally.........
I saw a Harley T-Bone a Daiwoo yesterday, OUCH.
He did the old "look at me l can fly" trick about 12 feet in the air.
Folded his front wheel in half, snapped is forks and quite possibly wrote off the Daiwoo.
He was concious, talking and wearing an Aust Approved helmet.

I just re-read your question and realise l didnt answer what you actually asked.
"How may l get around the long arm of the law?"
VERY VERY EASILY.
Take yourself and your wallet down to the shops and buy an Australianapproved helmet. Its that simple. :D

Baiazid

Post by Baiazid » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:58 pm

Black Pearl wrote: Take yourself and your wallet down to the shops and buy an Australianapproved helmet. Its that simple. :D
Australian approved vs USA approved and EU approved.

My helmet is EU approved. This doesn't means is not safe in Australia. That means Australian standards are not in sync with USA or European ones. Is a very safe helmet to wear.

I was not talking about medical insurance there. Only comprehensive insurance for the bike. If a car will hit me at his fault, doesn't matter if my helmet has the sticker or not. The accident will happen anyway.

The helmet is made in Germany by a famous company: Uvex. I am sure that ECE 22.05 approval on this helmet in Europe marks this helmet as Safe by European standards. I know we don't live in Eu, but a standard in a modern country implies some tests ... etc.

Black Pearl

Post by Black Pearl » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:56 pm

Im not saying your helmet is unsafe, its jus not legal.
Australian Standards are there to protect the consumer.
Standards are published documents setting out specifications and procedures designed to ensure products, services and systems are safe, reliable and consistently perform the way they were intended to. They establish a common language which defines quality and safety criteria.
My current lid has the Australian Standard AS/NZ 1698 on it. This sticker was issued by SAI Global.
So who is SAI Global l hear you ask......?
In 2003 Standards Australia disposed of its principal commercial interests in publishing and assurance services when it floated its subsidiary company SAI Global Ltd on the Australian Stock Exchange. Initially it retained a 40% interest in SAI Global, but progressively sold this shareholding down to zero, enabling it to focus exclusively on its core business of developing and managing its collection of 7000 Australian standards and representing Australia's interests in international standardisation.

So if a helmet manufacturer does not wish to sell their product in Australia, it does not get tested to our standards and we cant use it.

All they would need to do is demonstrate to SAI Global that their product complies with AS/NZS 1698 which should be easy given they have the EU and US standards already.

I guess they just dont want our business or there really may be an issue with their product in relation to Australian standards.
In the mean time use a helmet that was purchased with the AS/NZS 1698 sticker on it.
One helmet is a door stop, two would be bookends. :D

Whitey
Site Admin

Post by Whitey » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:57 am

It's nonsense that a $99 'approved' helmet is legal, while a $1200 helmet without a sticker is not. Unfortunately, this is the kind of bullshit which happens when $$$ are involved.

Comprehensive insurers could avoid paying a claim only if it was deemed that your illegal helmet contributed to the accident. That scenario would seem unlikely to me.

Health insurers and life insurers on the other hand, are the ones you need to worry about. In their eyes, wearing a non-approved helmet is the same as wearing no helmet at all. Head injuries generally involve long periods of convalescence and big medical bills. I personally wouldn't be giving any of my insurers a means of delaying or avoiding a claim.
Graham
'08 KLR650

atgreg2

Post by atgreg2 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Any helmet that doesnt have an AUst stanards / sewn in patch sticker is illegal and will void any personal injury insurance and as far as any police are concerned its the same as not wearing a helmet. Police these days routinely check helmets of crashed bikers for this since internet buying has got bigger.

Doesnt matter if its exactly the same model as sold in Oz or what OS standards it meets.

This subject has been beaten to death on Advrider and the legalities are well known.

Its a personal decision on whether its worth wearing an OS bought helmet and whats the likely hood of getting caught

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:01 pm

atgreg2????

What happened to atgreg :D
Cowabunga dudes .......