For You and Your Bike

Moderator: Waldorf

Whitey
Site Admin

Re: Gopro HD or Contour GPS camera

Post by Whitey » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:59 am

Whitey wrote:
woodie wrote:Whitey
Can you post up some samples of your Go pro, and what software do you use to edit it at home.
Sure. I'll be riding tomorrow with my daughter, so I'll shoot some short vids at various settings and post them up in a couple of days time.
Made a half arsed attempt last weekend, but forgot to charge the Go-Pro's camera. Got all of 5 seconds of footage before the camera turned itself off. :oops:
This weekend for sure !!!
Graham
'08 KLR650

woodie

Post by woodie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:13 am

Yes done that before, got a fantastic pic in the view finder and the camera goes flat :doh:

Ozy

Post by Ozy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:36 pm

Whitey wrote:
Whitey wrote:
woodie wrote:Whitey
Can you post up some samples of your Go pro, and what software do you use to edit it at home.
Sure. I'll be riding tomorrow with my daughter, so I'll shoot some short vids at various settings and post them up in a couple of days time.
Made a half arsed attempt last weekend, but forgot to charge the Go-Pro's camera. Got all of 5 seconds of footage before the camera turned itself off. :oops:
This weekend for sure !!!
:popcorn:

Whitey
Site Admin

Post by Whitey » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:10 am

Ozy wrote:
errr, this weekend for sure !!!!! :roll:
Graham
'08 KLR650

Ozy

Post by Ozy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Whitey wrote:
Ozy wrote:
errr, this weekend for sure !!!!! :roll:

No worries Whitey, I'm waiting for my tax cheque anyway so I've still got a few weeks.

woodie

Post by woodie » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:04 pm

Ha Guys
Just got off the phone talking to my brother and he just spent the w/e @ Tummut with a bloke that uses a Liquid image camera, well while a goggle, and if you want to see some footage Utube "Tummut to Talbingo 2011".
Not sure on price but will look into it.

tripodtiger

Post by tripodtiger » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:09 pm

I've been playing with my GoPro - trying to work out how best to use it.

I did this from raw footage, using Pinacle Studio 14. The editing softward came with a device that lets me capture from my miniDV camera (it's a tape!!).

I've got other videos on my page 'tripodtiger'. I've used a variety of cameras - the GoPro, Panasonic MiniDV and my deceased Olympus U (which was terrible on the bike).
http://www.youtube.com/user/tripodtiger?feature=mhee

I've nil to compare the editing software with.
I've never even seen a Contour.

Negative things with the GoPro:
Changing settings is a tad confusing, you really need to have the instruction sheet with you, so you can follow what you're doing.
You're never quite certain that it's actually recording video unless you turn it on before you stick the helmet on.
You can't confirm the field of view, unless you've got the viewfinder back.
Spherical aberation of the wide angle lens - particularly the apparent distance between the lens and subjects ahead. The footage in the above video of me following my mate along the Putty Rd doesn't really show how close I was. When he is out in the distance, he's no more than 3 seconds ahead and mostly well less than 2 seconds. You can get an idea also by looking at the distance to bikes passing or being passed.
If you try to mount it on the side of your helmet, you need to be very careful with the position of the adheasive pad, else you'll look at the world on an angle.
Helmet top mount is 'remote' from what you're actually seeing. There is a chest mount harness.
The buttons are really hard to use with moderately heavy gloves on. And, if it's on your head with the engine running, see above.
Wind noise. Even in the waterproof box there is wind noise, lots of, at anything above about 50km/h. I've put a strip of tape over the microphone, without great difference.
My camera doesn't quite fit perfectly inside the box, so there is an occasional little thump from motion inside the box.
I've broken two of the plastic, slide in clips that fix it to the base. There is also a fraction of movement there that I don't think would really effect the footage anyway.
If you want to have the lens centred, you need to line that up on your helmet before you stick the footing on :imaposer: The lens is off centre.

Good things;
It's a HD video camera. How cool is that! Even though I've not had it on the HD setting, yet.
I'm learning something new, let's not call it a skill! I may never be any good at it but, I hope it keeps me motivated.
It's bloody simple to use simply.
The battery will get you plenty of hours footage, at least at 780. It's easy to charge and it's not too hard to change with a spare.
You're unlikely to fill a big card before you run out of battery, or are able to recharge the battery.
File movements are simple.

I reckon, on balance, it's a good thing. Recommended if you like to spend time infront of the computer.
The point made above (1CB?) about hours of unedited crap is really valid. If you're not going to edit it, you probably wont be bothered sitting through stuff you've recorded because it's really tedious. And how can you make someone else sit through it?

Eventually, I will probably shell out for the chest mount and a tripod mount - I can use that on my sidecar with the RAM mount I've already got.

Before you buy - take an hour or two with each one if you can. See how easily it is to get it to record / off cycle with your eyes closed. Have a think about where it will be mounted and how you'll line it up. I put my helmet on, worked out an imaginary horizontal line through the side elevation and then started with the camera perpendicular to that. A couple of fine graduation lines on the two parts of the base would be a good option, that I haven't bothered with yet!

have fun with the tax cheque.

Ozy

Post by Ozy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:08 pm

Thanks Ray.....I think :doh: :wink: