Presure suit or Armour for 'normal' riding???

For You and Your Bike

Moderator: Waldorf

Sydney Rider

Presure suit or Armour for 'normal' riding???

Post by Sydney Rider » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:45 am

Howdy all,

I am thinking about some protection for future rides and have been thinking of either http://www.bikebiz.com.au/products/Zacs ... rmour.html or one of these http://shop.sydneycitymotorcycles.com.a ... suits.html but I have read a lot of reviews and can't make up my mind as to which one would be better overall.

I don't intend riding at more than a leisurely pace and I don't expect to take up single/goat track riding but I do need to add some protection for the time(s) that I might fall off.....

I like the Zacspeed because it has a 3L bladder and a bag ( both of which I would want anyway - so if I don't get it then I still need to wear a bag with a bladder ) and it looks like the shoulder and elbow protection will be up to the job but I am just not sure enough.

I always heat up as soon as I stop ( and often feel warm even when I am riding ) so I am concerned about the temperature situation with a pressure suit.

Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts/suggestions for me?

Tony

Whitey
Site Admin

Re: Presure suit or Armour for 'normal' riding???

Post by Whitey » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:33 am

I like the look of those Zacspeeds. A little more than body armour, and seemingly popular with the racing crowd.

Personally, I'd probably still go with a pressure suit (I already own a sixsixone). They offer good chest, back and shoulder protection, but unlike armour they also have padded upper arms, elbows and forearms. In hot weather you can wear the body suit without a jacket, although I usually tolerate the jacket as well for that extra padding. I don't bounce as well as I once did.
Graham
'08 KLR650

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:21 am

I was also thinking about a pressure suit at one stage but never bothered as they just look like too much hassle and I havent found any that fit me well.
I have been very happy with the inbuilt armour in my jacket so Im sticking with that for now..

I dont do single track or "trail riding" so Im not really inclined to get one any more.

I just ride slow anyway :lol:

I overheat very easily as well and its just another insulating layer to sweat in.
Cowabunga dudes .......

DustyWheels

Post by DustyWheels » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:01 am

1coolbanana wrote:I was also thinking about a pressure suit at one stage but never bothered as they just look like too much hassle and I havent found any that fit me well.
I have been very happy with the inbuilt armour in my jacket so Im sticking with that for now..

I dont do single track or "trail riding" so Im not really inclined to get one any more.

I just ride slow anyway :lol:

I overheat very easily as well and its just another insulating layer to sweat in.

wat he ses :P
I might ride like crap, but I'm having fun, I think

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

ozadvntr

Post by ozadvntr » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:40 pm

I use a 661 Core Saver as my Jacket has great shoulder and elbow protection. My reasons are as follows:

1. I had a mate break 7 ribs and puncture both lungs after a seemingly moderate off. Trouble was he landed on his back on sand. His 85kg transferred his weight through his rib cage. doing a bit of damage. His bike was not damaged at all.

2. Same area, earlier in the day, another mate came off in a similar manner with an Alpine Star pressure suit on and walked away winded. The pressure suit transferred the impact and absorbed some of it so he was fine.

3. Even if your just poking along at 50km/h you can do yourself significant damage.

4. A pressure suit is far chaeaper than time off work for an injury. Your health cover may even cover it.

My Core saver is put on like a T Shirt so no issue in wearing it. I was gun shy of any Armour until I saw Tony flying away in the Moomba Chooper. Now, I wear it on any off road ride.

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:47 pm

Hmmm, thats interesting :D
Ive never seen one of those.

Is this what your talking about?

Cowabunga dudes .......

Sydney Rider

Post by Sydney Rider » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:09 pm

All,

I ended up buying the O'Neil Underdog for about $169 - it was the only one that fitted me fully ( the others ended up with the actual armour not quite on my shoulders or elbows which meant that I didn't really get a lot of protection out of it ) and some EVS knee guards.

With the money I had left ( well that is how I can pretend to justify it ) I bought myself a new Shoei Hornet DS helmet to replace my old Nolan N3 and this will make a world of difference to my comfort level while riding.

I am still not sure that I have exactly the right suit for me but I need it now and the Underdog was the best out of the 6 or so different types I tried on, time will tell though.

Thanks for all the advice, my decision to go with the suit rather than the armour was based on everything that was written here.

Tony

ozadvntr

Post by ozadvntr » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:38 pm

Yes, that's it. Great Protection and easy to wear. Highly recommend that for comfort and as we all know, we don't do 15 minutes plus 1 lap.

Whitey
Site Admin

Post by Whitey » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:52 pm

Good points made by ozadvntr !

Even a low speed impact to the chest or back can result in a serious injury. Jackets don't offer much in the way of protection to these rather important areas. For those who are worried about comfort or overheating, you'll find that pressure suits are simply another layer. If it's very warm, remove your top layer (that overpriced <brand x> jacket) and ride in your pressure suit alone. It will still offer heaps more protection than your jacket.

Gratuitous warm weather action shot of adventurous fellow wearing pressure suit sans jacket...

Graham
'08 KLR650

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:15 pm

Sydney Rider wrote:All,

I ended up buying the O'Neil Underdog for about $169 -
Tony

This???

Cowabunga dudes .......