How is the new Tenere' XTZ660

Moderator: Waldorf

Dobbo

How is the new Tenere' XTZ660

Post by Dobbo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi,

I have been researching the new Tenere, I have read the yamaha speil including all the spec's. I have also read the reviews given by various magazines and riders.

However; I am after the opinions from those that have outlayed their own hard earned dollars to buy one.
(or if you know anyone that fits this discription)

Some questions that I have are :

1. Once the honeymoon period is over, is there anything that yamaha could have done differently to improve this model?

2. For the money that you outlayed; was there anything that you think should have come fitted as standed?

3. How have you found the seat with the cut-out position for the rider?

4. Depending on the riding that you do; have you found anything that you would not recommend the bike for? (more than the obvious.. ie. Motocross / enduro)

5. Would you recommend this choice of bike to someone else?

6. Could you tell me why I should buy a Tenere and not a 690 ktm? (Beyond the Yamaha Vs KTM battle)?

I have been looking into the possibility of getting another bike and the Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 has a certain appeal to me. But I need some more encouragement than what the salesman can provide.

P.M me if you want, if you feel you might get ridiculed on the main forum.

Cheers
Dobbo

DustyWheels

Post by DustyWheels » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:34 am

be interested to see what sort of feedback you get here Dobbo.

I'm looking at getting back into ADV riding after I sell the 300.

at the moment I'm considering the 640 Adventure, Tenere and BMW 800.
I might ride like crap, but I'm having fun, I think

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

Dobbo

Post by Dobbo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:40 pm

Yeah Mudrat.

you are looking at the same bikes I am considering, Ktm 690, F800 & Tenere.

I find most reviews are fairly positive to the bike being tested; and I can not blame them.... new bike , free of charge, I wouldn't want to up set the manufacturers as I would not get to ride next years models.

But am interested to here from someone who had to outlay their own cash. And I know they will probably be biased to yamaha; as I am to the DR650, but I'll gladly let you know what I'd do different next time around.

I have yet to come across the Tenere XTZ660 out on the trails; I hope that is not an indication in itself.

Cheers

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Hey Dobbo, I don't have any of the bikes your after BUT, just of the top of my head the Tenere weighs around the same as the 800 with only 48hp while the 800 has around 85hp and the 690 at 139kg has around 63hp. The Tenere would be a great bike keeping in mind that has non USD forks with little ajustment and the power/weight ratio is a bit low.
Just my opinion.... :D

Whitey
Site Admin

Post by Whitey » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:21 pm

Lance reckons the Tenere is the bees knees, even when he's not wearing his journo's hat. Mind you, he is a bit of a Tenere tragic. :lol:

Personally, it would be the 690 for me. But let's wait to see what the Tenere owners have to say.
Graham
'08 KLR650

YeeHaa

TBAM

Post by YeeHaa » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:22 pm

some good comments in the latest TBAM magazine...
Hartley and Udy know what they are talkin about.

Dobbo

Post by Dobbo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:47 pm

I have read the reviews, but want to hear from an owner!

if there are any out there?????

rmarmbruster

Re: How is the new Tenere' XTZ660

Post by rmarmbruster » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:30 am

Ron, we would love to hear an update on the Tenere.

Cheers

Rob A.

Benny

Post by Benny » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:42 pm

Starting to see a few new Tenere around (saw two today, mind you one was on a trailer :ne_nau: ) and I gotta say they are starting to grow on me.

It would be good if Yamaha brought out something like a "race" version next year. Yes the bike would cost a bit more but with WRF forks, single front disk, single pipe ect (to save weight) it would be a weapon!
Of couse these are things you could do your self but at $15,000 it should already have WRF forks..

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:47 pm

Starting to grow on me too.
Id love to get a test ride :D

Blacktown Yamaha sold their last black one today for $13500 ride away, pretty good huh!

Dont ask me how I know :lol:
Cowabunga dudes .......

tariadamar

Post by tariadamar » Sat May 01, 2010 10:35 am

i saw one at the local bike shop and i love the look of them. i must admit though they are kind of a tall bike. which for me is great as i am over 6 foot tall. if i had the money i would probably go one. but then again i only got a klx 250 so anything would be an up grade.

Whitey
Site Admin

Post by Whitey » Sat May 01, 2010 11:23 am

1coolbanana wrote: Dont ask me how I know :lol:
Huh ? :shock:

Is there something you need to tell us Marc ?
Graham
'08 KLR650

chadams

Post by chadams » Sun May 02, 2010 9:43 pm

1coolbanana wrote:Starting to grow on me too.
Id love to get a test ride :D

Blacktown Yamaha sold their last black one today for $13500 ride away, pretty good huh!

Dont ask me how I know :lol:
Hi Marc, bizbiz at parramatta has a black demo at the moment.

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Sun May 02, 2010 10:00 pm

whitey222 wrote:
1coolbanana wrote: Dont ask me how I know :lol:
Huh ? :shock:

Is there something you need to tell us Marc ?

uhmmmmmm............no I dont think so........................ :shifty: ........... :whistle:
Cowabunga dudes .......

tripodtiger

Post by tripodtiger » Wed May 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Here's an offer...
I've got my '08 690E. Dobbo's got his DR650. Reckon we could find an F650GS (the single in either std or Dakar set up) and a KLR650.

The mods made to the bikes that I'm thinking of are made by non-expert, everyday blokes who don't have heaps of spare coin to lash out.

Mine's got the basics, around $2k worth, to bring it up to touring use but no flash suspension mods or anything, and I haven't changed the gearing. I even LIKE the Metzeler Sahara 3 that's the standard tyre.

We need an XTZ660 (or are they 660Z? not been paying any notice) and an F800GS (one of the real ones).

Then we can find a mutual time to head out for a fair dinkum ride. Over 3 to 5 days. Share the bikes around - they'd all have to be insured, of course.

The WE write our opinions, and spread the word as we find it. No obigation to the manufacturers or accessory retailers for advertising revenue.

I'd love to be able to write good things about the new Ten. I am a Yamaha man, when it's all said and done and have lusted after a Tenere since the first one. But if it didn't do the job any better than one of the others, you'd have to make that point.

Anyone want to get together to organise something?

steve

Post by steve » Wed May 05, 2010 5:57 pm

I'd be in that, you'd have to add the 640 to the list though.

Benny

Post by Benny » Thu May 06, 2010 7:14 pm

Hes an ideas man :think: .......... :clap:

Whitey
Site Admin

Post by Whitey » Thu May 06, 2010 7:45 pm

steve wrote:I'd be in that, you'd have to add the 640 to the list though.
Yes, we'll need a vibey old clunker to make the Tenere look good. :twisted:

Fair enough idea Ray, but who'd give a rats about our opinions anyway. You just wanna ride my 990 don't ya ! :wink:
Graham
'08 KLR650

steve

Post by steve » Thu May 06, 2010 7:56 pm

whitey222 wrote:Yes, we'll need a vibey old clunker to make the Tenere look good. :twisted:

You're a cheeky bugger now your carrying round a coupla sticks to beat people with arent ya. :imaposer:

tripodtiger

Post by tripodtiger » Fri May 07, 2010 6:53 pm

whitey222 wrote:
Fair enough idea Ray, but who'd give a rats about our opinions anyway. You just wanna ride my 990 don't ya ! :wink:

Been there, done that. :thumb: My jocks still have the stains from a few 'LC8 moments' :imaposer:

And your correct, no one would care about our opinions, until we put shit on one bike, or another.